The current development of social networks progressively alternates the ways and means information is treated, selected and regarded. The platform sobees comes in as a practical and easy-to-use tool that allows interaction between the social networks, the mass media and your own discovery of an event. It will enable users to follow their chosen events throughout the multiple media vehicles that can be found on the web. Our application sobees gives you the tools and means needed to follow, interact and participate on a regular basis to the events. It has been built with modules that can be put together to provide a singular and rich experience around any events, topics, brands, or people.
sobees is being developed on the EPFL campus. Since the EPFL is also a scientific partner of Alinghi, we have chosen the America’s cup for our first implementation. Regarding this main event, here are the functions/advantages our application can offer:
- Aggregation of the best photos, videos, news and Twitter messages around the event. Allows global and at the same time customized visibility on the events, as sources of information are various and multiple, going from official news (RSS feeds from the teams and from the official America’s cup website, Twitter messages from the Teams and from the organization) to personal and underground ones (what your friends and social entourage knows or tweet around the event).
- Possibility of retrieving tweets containing keywords as well as Google news, with the opportunity to change the keywords in the settings. The information and what revolves around it can be selected, depending on the media type you are seeking.
- Connection to your Facebook and/or Twitter account, so you can lively interact and participate with what is discussed around the event. Therefore, you will get practical and efficient Twitter and Facebook applications with all the functionalities you get on sobees. Resulting from these possibilities and after you have connected to your account, you will also have a status update field at the top of the application.
- The best of both official and social community information combined in an easy way.
We hope you will enjoy this new application! http://americascup.sobees.com
We are very happy announce the launch of the sobees search platform, a brand new application which will help you discover the real time web together with images, news, videos and let you browse the trending topics of the day. We wanted this search platform to look and feel like our social clients and have therefore configured into modules. In addition, it offers you all the following functionalities:
- Real time search (Twitter, Friendfeed, Facterylabs and OneRiot)
- Image search (Bing, Flickr, Google and Yahoo!)
- Video search (Bing, Google and Youtube)
- Web search (Bing, Google and Yahoo!)
- News search (Bing, Google, New York Times and Yahoo!)
Today, we are releasing a new version of sobees lite (0.5.0.1) which is by far the most optimized social client ever released. sobees lite supports Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, Myspace and Real Time Search. Each service offers the best possibilities compared to any other social client.
With all the 5 services on a Core 2 Duo computer with 4GB RAM and a basic graphic card, sobees lite hardly uses more than 100 MB and when I switch to another application the memory is almost entirely released, bringing sobees back to 15-20 MB. This version also solves the text entry issue which was particularly painful on tablet and touch computers. Further issues were solved with this release such as API consumption for lists, Facebook Comments and Birthday, better offline management, Twitter Refresh settings, etc.
We are now on good tracks to move to beta early next year and are also working on some cool new designs and additional functionalities.
We just released an update of sobees lite to fix all issues reported in the previous version (Facebook Home, LinkedIn filters, double items in Twitter…). If you still experience an issue with Facebook, please try to remove the Facebook control and add it again:
We are really proud to announce that sobees is now available in Yahoo! Mail. This new application, called My Social Networks, is the one that was missing in your Inbox! As a social client application, it lets you stay up-to-date and interact with all your different communities (Facebook, Twitter and MySpace), just like sobees lite and sobees web do.
What are your friends doing right now? Did they share a picture? Are they enjoying a good meal in a restaurant close to you? Follow all the activities of your friends without leaving the comfort of your Inbox thanks to My Social Networks. In addition, the App also lets you search – in real time – all the messages people are sharing about your brand, your favorite sports team, a movie star, etc. You will be the first to know if anything that matters to you happens. My Social Networks also gives you the possibility to update your status on multiple social networks in one go.
The application would not have been complete without fully integrating with your Yahoo! Inbox. We have therefore developed some ‘Yahoo! Mail only’ features. Easily share, by email, any item you come across on Facebook, Twitter and MySpace. We’ve given you the possibility to add Facebook events to your Yahoo! calendar with a single click. And, if you want to tell your friends what is on your mind while reading an email, just open the ‘Update Status’ pop-up window.
This integration has been a really exciting experience and we are happy to be working with the Yahoo! team. Our aim has always been to create an easy, intuitive application to help people make the most of their social networks.
My Social Networks is currently available for the approximately 29 million Yahoo! Mail users in the UK, France, Germany, Spain and Italia.